Friday, November 7, 2008

Potato Soup

I found this recipe on line from Country Living. Of course I changed a few things and thought of a few other things I should have done after I ate it. Everyone liked it so that was a plus. I am sure you all have a good Potato Soup recipe but here is another quick and easy one.

btw- I will be trying to get a post up of a cute Thanksgiving activity you can make to place at each dinner plate. Look for that to come soon.


Potato Soup

6 slices bacon (I think if you really like bacon you probably will want more than this.)
8 med/large potatoes (It calls for three pounds but I bought a five pound bag and ended up using 8 potoates. It all depends on the sizes that come out of the bag.)
4 tsp. salt
1 cup sour cream
1 stick butter
2 2/3 cup milk
1/2 tsp pepper
4 scallions (Didn't have any when we made it but would probably add an excellent flavor as a topping)
2 cups shredded Cheddar Cheese (or whatever you desire)

Cook the bacon pieces over medium heat in a skillet until crisp. Transfer bacon to drain and set aside. Peel, rinse, and cut potatoes into thirds (or a bit smaller as I did). Place them in a large pot with water to cover the potatoes, and add 2 tsps. salt, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are very soft -- about 45 min. or less. Drain potatoes, discard the water, return potatoes to pot. Mash with a potato masher (I used a fork since I don't have a potato masher :). ) Add the sour cream and butter and stir until melted. Add the milk, pepper, and remaining salt and bring the soup back to a simmer. Right before serving, I actually added in about a cup or more of the cheese to let melt into the soup. Divide into bowls and garnish with scallions, cheese, and bacon. Eat and enjoy.

Afterwards I wondered if a bit of Garlic or Season salt would have added a bit more of a fun flavor. This recipe seemed to be easy. You could probably play around with it and get it to your liking. But as you can see below it was enjoyed by even the little one.


3 comments:

Princess Hairstyles said...

hehe!! I love the picture. This looks good.

Unknown said...

The picture says a lot--I think I'll have to try some, too!

*~Petra~* said...

This sounds delicious, it looks yummy and well, Clarissa's picture seals the deal... it is obviously a hit!!!! :)